|Run||11 Oct 2004 – 13 Dec 2004|
|Series:|| 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5|
6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10.
A third series of ten episodes was transmitted on BBC One in the autumn of 2004 and concluded on 13 December. The first episode features Rupert Penry-Jones as Adam Carter, who was drafted in from MI6 to help investigate Tom's disappearance. He later takes over Tom's position as Section Chief after the latter jeopardised an important operation.
In episode six, Zoe is taken to court for misconduct during an operation and is forced to leave MI5 and assume a new identity in Chile. She is replaced by Adam's wife, Fiona (Olga Sosnovska). In the series finale, Danny is killed while he and Fiona are being held hostage. Audience figures dropped to a series average of 5.8 million viewers.
- Project Friendly Fire (Part 2)
- The Sleeper
- Who Guards the Guards?
- A Prayer for My Daughter
- Love and Death
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Suffering of Strangers
Program history Edit
A third series of again ten episodes was transmitted on BBC One in the autumn of 2004 and concluding 13 December. The first episode saw the introduction of Rupert Penry-Jones as Adam Carter, drafted in from MI6 to help investigate Tom's disappearance.
He later took over Tom's position as Chief of Section & Senior Case Officer as over the course of the series all three of the original leading trio (MacFadyen, Hawes, Oyelowo) left the programme, their departures staggered over the second, sixth, and tenth episodes respectively. In the case of Zoe, she is taken to court for misconduct during an operation and forced to leave MI5 and assume a new identity in Chile, the character is replaced by Adam's wife Fiona (Olga Sosnovska).
Fan responses to the changes of leading cast were generally negative and the series garnered varied critical reactions, audience figures also dropping to a series average of 5.8 million viewers.
- Rupert Penry-Jones as Adam Carter (introduced episode 1)
- Matthew Macfadyen as Tom Quinn (until episode 2)
- Keeley Hawes as Zoe Reynolds (until episode 6)
- David Oyelowo as Danny Hunter (leaves at end of series)
- Peter Firth as Harry Pearce
- Hugh Simon as Malcolm Wynn-Jones
- Shauna Macdonald as Sam Buxton (leaves at end of series)
- Rory MacGregor as Colin Wells
- Nicola Walker as Ruth Evershed
- Olga Sosnovska as Fiona Carter (introduced episode 4)
- Raza Jaffrey as Zafar Younis (introduced episode 10)